- Our popular Computer Classes for Seniors returns to a new day and time! Moving to Thursday afternoons at 1 PM—3 PM, Brendan from the Buffalo Library resumes his excellent computer classes. This will be a regular weekly class for free.
- On Wednesdays- Mindful Movement with Susi Rosinski. Qigong, pronounced (CHI GONG), is the original Mindful Movement Practice. It is an ancient Chinese Health system that integrates physical movements, breath work, focused intention along with guided imagery. The slow,gentle movements are easily learned and can be adapted for anyone to do and can be practiced by any age group! 10 AM class.
- On Mondays- Move & Groove Mondays with Jess Reino. We will be doing some stretching at the beginning, and then a boot camp style (but much gentler) type of class. Low impact. We will use some light weights, work on balance and coordination all to music and lots of friendly fun. We will end with a few minutes of stretching. Class starts at 10 AM.
- Movement Member Cards– Discount for 10 fitness classes for only $30. Save $2 per class!
MONDAY MOVIE MATINEES
Our movie series has been going GREAT! For August, it's Meryl Streep month! So grab a seat and some popcorn, and enjoy the show on our giant television after lunch on Mondays! Movies start at 12:30 pm.
Meryl Streep Month
- 8/1—NO MOVIE
- 8/8– Mamma Mia! (2008)
- 8/15– The Devil Wears Prada (06)
- 8/22– Julie & Julia (2009)
- 8/29– Death Becomes Her (1992)
We will be taking suggestions for future movies to show. Feel free to give them to Michael when you stop in.
COMPUTER CLASSES CONTINUE ON THURSDAYS
Our popular series of Computer Classes taught by Brendan from the Buffalo Public Library continues on Thursdays at 1 pm. Come for lunch, stay for class!
The schedule of computer classes will be:
- 8/4 Gmail
- 8/11 Home Internet Setup
- 8/18 Internet Basics
- 8/25 Using Google
- 9/1 Microsoft Word
- 9/8 iPads & iPhones
- 9/15 Computer Basics
- 9/22 Computer Maintenance
- 9/29 Internet Basics
All courses are free of charge. You must register in advance of the class. Call Kim at 822-4532 x0 or email [email protected]
[email protected] FIELD TRIPS FOR AUGUST & SEPTEMBER
Registration is now open for our August & September trips.
- Wednesday August 10th– Erie County Fair Opening Day! We’re opening the Erie County Fair with all your favorite vendors, exhibits, animals and snacks! Lunch will be served at the Center at 11:00 am with an 11:30am departure and Noon arrival.
- Thursday August 25th– Buffalo Bison's Baseball Game! Our second Bison’s game of the summer with a 1pm game time. Lunch will be served at the Center at 11:30 am with a Noon departure for a 12:30pm arrival. The game is approx. 3 hours and we will return to the Center afterwards.
- Wednesday September 14th—Buffalo Double Decker Bus Returns! Due to popular demand, the
double decker bus is back for everyone that missed it the first time. Lunch will be served at the Center at 11:30 am with a 12:3 pm departure from the Center for a 2-hour tour. Priority will be given to 1st time riders!
- Wednesday September 28th—Buffalo Science Museum! Come explore a Buffalo classic with a
guided tour of PanAm Artifacts and Arctic Dinosaurs. Lunch will be served at the Center at 11:00 am with a 11:30am departure from the Center for a Noon arrival. The tour will last 2 hours, and return afterwards.
- Stay tuned for announcements for October, November & December! You won’t be disappointed!
Schedule of trips for September through December will be announced towards the end of summer. The cost per trip will be $10, that includes lunch at the Center and admission ticket & tour. Payment must be received to reserve your spot on the tour. Cash, check, & credit card accepted.
Reservations must be made with Kim at the reception desk. Call Kim at 822-4532 x 0 or email [email protected]
This program is made possible with funds from the Statewide Community Regrant program, a regrant program of the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature and administered by Arts Services Inc.
BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENING
We are offering FREE blood pressure screening every month at Tosh Collins. Director Michael’s mom, Marcy Weidrich RN (retired) will be in Friday August 26th from 9:30 AM AM to 11:30 AM to check your blood pressure. We will schedule her at least once a month to stop in. If you are interested in getting your BP checked, call Kim 822-4532 x0 or email [email protected]
SILVER PRIDE GROUP
The South Buffalo Community Association is proud to partner with the Pride Center of Western New York to bring a great new monthly event to the Tosh Collins Center.
The Silver Pride Project
The Silver Pride Project is a Pride Center initiative that’s all about creating better conversations and improved social engagement with our older members of the LGBTQ+ community. By understanding people’s experiences we can facilitate greater social connectivity, improve social inclusion and evolve services to meet the needs of our LGBTQ+ elders.
LGBTQ+ Seniors Coffee Hour
Also known as the Silver Pride Coffee Hour, is an opportunity for LGBTQ+ seniors to come together and enjoy a morning of refreshments and conversation. Tosh Collins will begin hosting this monthly event on Friday August 12th from 10am-Noon and will meet the 2nd Friday of every month.
Contact Michael Weidrich for more information at 822-4532 x101 or email michael @ southbuffalo.org